Helen Hamilton Black, her husbands, children etc.
Helen Hamilton Black b. 22 August 1853 Dysart, Fife, first child of John Reddie Black and Emma Fulton
2nd February 1874 in Frankfurt she m. Robert Helenus Johnson (b. 21 Aug 1842, bap. 13 Sep. 1842 at Bycullah, d. 14 June 1877, Guntoor), son of Frances née Jeffreys (m. 1826, d.1843) and John Lewis Johnson (1796-1872), judge in Bombay Court.
- Lewis (Duncan ?) Johnson b. 2 Feb 1876, Guntoor, at Loretto School, nr Edinburgh in 1891.
- Robert Francis Hamilton Johnson b. 3rd Oct 1877, London [Internet sources say he worked for Customs and Railway Dept, Cape Colony, S.A. and married a niece of James Xavier Merriman. No reason to doubt this, but can’t confirm it.]
December 1882 in Cheltenham she m. Whaley Bouchier Nutt (b. 4 August 1846 Cheltenham, d. 4 March 1895 Edinburgh)
- Emma Cecilia Armitage Nutt, b. 1884, Grange House, Edinburgh
- Lindsay Llewellyn Nutt (known as Lindsay Llewellyn Chamberlain by 1915 at Sandhurst) born 2 July 1894 Grange House, Edinburgh, baptised 18 Aug. in Llanaber, Wales, Sandhurst College, Lieut. with 25th Punjabis in First World War, farmer in Ofcolaco when he m. Vera Adeline Fotheringham in Pietersburg on 4 March 1924.
1895 Q4 in London Helen m. Harold Goddard Chamberlain (b. Dec. 1872, Dartmouth, son of Edward and Susannah, in South Africa he was an accountant)
- D’Eyncourt Goddard Chamberlain, b. 24 Feb 1898, Sandhurst College, Major at death on 2 December 1942, buried Tunisia
Helen Hamilton Black’s parents, siblings etc.
John Reddie Black, HHB’s father, was born 25 Jan 1787 in Dysart, Fife, and died there 7 Jan 1862.
He was the son of James Black, R.N. and Grizel Reddie/Reddy, who married in 1784 in Dysart. (Grizel was apparently born in 1760 in Dysart to John Reddy and Elspet Spence). He was brother of Lieut. James Black, R.N., (b. 22 July 1785, died before 1849 while serving in the West Indies.) JRB’s other siblings were Grizel, Jean, Alexander, Andrew and George John Purdue. Nephew of Lieut. John Black, R.N., who died 1814.
m. 22 July 1818 Sophia Kiffiana Juliana Hurdis (bap. 29 July 1784, d. 1842, dau. of Jas. Hurdis, Esq., of Seaford, Sussex, sister of Capt. George Clarke Hurdis, R.N.)
- Ann Catherine Black 16 Feb 1820, died Dec. 1841
- James Hurdis Black 20 Sep 1821, dip. Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, Nov. 1844, admitted Society of Apothecaries, 22 Aug 1850
- Grace Sanderson Black 6 Oct 1823, m. Thomas Henry Tuckett 22 Jun 1852, Fife, d. 1871, 1856 and 1871 at Comely Park, Dunfermline, THT a road surveyor, with children:
- Thomas Lindsay Burn Tuckett b. 1856
- Stanley Phipps Kerr Tuckett b.1858
- John Reddie Black 8 Jan 1826, bap. Episcopal Chapel, Kirkcaldy
- Henry James Black
Secondly, JRB senior m. Emma Fulton (bap. 29 May 1830 Trichinopoly, India, d. 24 June 1889, Edinburgh)
- Helen Hamilton Black 22 Aug 1853
- George Stow Black 5 Aug 1855, in 1890s Lloyd’s Captains Register
- Emma Caroline Black 5 Sep 1856
- Henry Somes Black b. 23 May 1858, Navy Commander 1886, m. Jane Greig Miller 3 Jun 1892, Aden, d. Juniper Green nr. Edinburgh 3 Oct 1919, in 1911 living in Bedford with wife and children:
- Jean Moray Black, age 17 (in 1911) b. Bombay, Ian Reddie Hamilton Black age 12, born Rangoon, Henry Lindsay Black age 9, born Glasgow, Kenneth Ross Hamilton Black age 6, born North Berwick
- Ann Spence Black 22 May 1860, at 1871 census with mother and brother Henry in Dunfermline at Grace S. Black or Tuckett’s house, 1881 census at Helen’s house in Edinburgh
All John Reddie Black’s children were born in Dysart.
Emma Fulton’s parents were Caroline (Hurdis, widow) when she was m. in Sep. 1820 at Cannanore to Major John Fulton (b. 30 March 1875 Markinch, d. 21 Jan 1853 Innerleven, Fife). Their other children, Emma’s siblings, were:
- Graeme Auchmuty Fulton b. 19 Nov 1820, Cannanore, Major General of Madras Infantry d. 1886 St. Helier, Jersey
- James Robert Fulton b. 31 Oct 1821, Cannanore
- Johnson Black marriage – The Standard, February 16, 1874;
- RH Johnson death “son of the late JL Johnson, Esq, judge, Bombay Court”- Aberdeen Weekly Journal July 21, 1877
- Birth of son [RFHJohnson] to widow of RHJ in London – Aberdeen Weekly Journal October 10, 1877
- Loretto School Register for LDJ and RFHJ
- Sandhurst records for LLC and d’EGC
- Naval Biographical Dictionary, 1849
- Index to Wills and Administrations
- Frances, wife of John Lewis Johnson, died 31 July 1843 Morning Post (Bombay news) -Oct 25 1843